Third post of the day for the second day in a row... I have missed blogging!
1. Just a minute or two ago, I was eating lunch in the faculty "party room". A colleague came in, looked at me curiously, and asked what I was having. "A tofu-vegie burger on rice cakes", I replied enthusiastically. She visibly shuddered and said in a firm voice "Out, Hugo, now. Take it and all that it means away!" I know she was joking. But it's not the first time this sort of thing has happened. It's interesting how publicly eating a restricted, healthy vegetarian diet tends to arouse hostility in folks -- even when your mouth is full with food, and not full of sanctimonious preaching.
Should I wrap my tofu vegie-burgers in Burger King wrappers to give them the illusion of cheerful carnivorousness? Should I put my little bag of organic fruit and nuts inside an M&Ms wrapper?
2. I am pleased that yesterday's post on marriage and Michael Noer has received many visitors. It even got linked in a discussion forum at Forbes magazine. How did the discussion begin? With an anti-feminist linking to a picture of me in a mickey mouse costume, declaring, "this is your brain on feminism." Sigh. And dammit, the costume wasn't even finished yet when that photo was taken!
3. Typepad reveals who links here. One young woman wrote a post early this morning that sent some hits my way: Hugo Schwyzer and his paternalistic views on feminism. Despite the title, she seems to agree at least in part with my theses about older men, younger women and student crushes. I'm wondering if I shouldn't try and develop the latter post into an article. But for what journal?
4. Some of what I've read and enjoyed today:
Chris Clarke lists the activities of his day last Friday. I may have logged more miles, but he did far more work. My blog crush on him just grows and grows.
5. One of my students has started a company, Silver Jewelry, with an interesting twist: free stuff. Visit them and check it out. No kidding, really free.